Wednesday 1 September 2010

Flight to Downtown Incheon

(Firstly, many apologies for not updating up to now. Getting Internet at my house is going to take a couple of weeks, so unfortunately the updates are going to be intermittent until then, but bear with me!)

Anyway, last Saturday I got on the Asiana Airlines non-stop flight to Seoul Incheon airport. After hanging about at Heathrow for a bit and trying to feed and entertain myself (10 quid for beer and a burger - UNBELIEVABLE), eventually the time came round to board. Now, as some of you may know, I don't like flying, so come takeoff time I stuck my fingers in my ears and hummed a quite superb rendition of "Don't Worry 'bout a Thing" by Bob Marley. This caused some rather odd looks from the Korean passengers nearby. I can't think why.

I'm not sure why I don't like flying - I probably know more about aerodynamics than anyone on board apart from the flight crew and I know it takes a LOT to bring an airliner out of the air on takeoff, but it doesn't stop me being uncomfortable until I'm through 10,000 feet. Irrational.

Anyway, once we were actually in the air I settled down, had a couple of drinks and sampled some Korean cuisine (some kind of funny chicken/noodles combo) I got some sleep and played some music for most of the rest of the flight.

I landed at Seoul at about 4.50pm local time on the Sunday (remember - 8 hour time difference) and managed to pick up all my luggage, change some money and see a nice welcome sign



 and catch a shuttle bus to the Hotel Incheon Sky where I'd prebooked a room. I shared this bus with, amongst others, a cheerful Japanese guy about my own age called Shintaro. We got to chatting, then once our luggage was safe we decided to head out into Incheon (suburb of Seoul, about 10 miles from the main city) to try some traditional Korean cuisine,

Here's where we ended up.


Like I said, traditional Korean cuisine.

Anyway, as we made our way back to the hotel I took another couple of pics of downtown Incheon:


That's Shintaro with the pizza.


And a shot of downtown.

Anyway, after nomming the pizza Shintaro headed off to get some sleep, and so did I.

After all, it was going to be an early start the next day - I had to get back to the airport and catch a bus by 10.30am to get to Cheonju to meet my contact at the Chungbuk Office of Education.

Next entry - To Cheonju!

4 comments:

  1. haha! traditional Korean cuisine indeed, I hope that pizza atleast had noodles on! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it that you tried my take-off calming method of sticking your fingers in your ears, works every time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Lani - thanks for the tip on that one. Did get some odd looks mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dominoes is always good, and hey every fast food outlet over there varies to what were used to anyway... wait till you try KFC! And also i think by the sound of it, we probably flew past each other, Should've waved!

    ReplyDelete