Wednesday 15 September 2010

Complications Complications

Settling in here (paperwork wise) is proving to be complicated.

As I arrived here too late for orientation in Seoul, everything that would normally be done for me (or at least helped with) at said orientation I have had to do myself.

One of those things - the med check - I've told you about already; I got my results back yesterday, and now I just need to take them and a few other items to the immigration office to sign up for my Alien Registration card.

However, it;s not that simple.

Two things have arisen recently that have complicated matters.
Firstly, if I'm wanting to get paid anything this month I need to set up a bank account pronto - faster than having to wait to receive my ARC to set up my account in the normal way. Therefore, I've got to visit a bank tomorrow with my passport, hand over another piece of paper in Korean (thank you once again, coteacher) and expect them to actually know what the hell I'm going on about. Fingers crossed that goes ok, because otherwise I will be taking a very close look at the can't-afford-to-eat diet for the next 4 weeks...

Additionally, there is a Korean national holiday coming up next week - Chuseok, or the Harvest Festival. Now, on the up side this means a few days off. On the down side it means any app I make for an ARC will be delayed even further!

Also, I got word today that because I didn't go to the orientation in August, I have to attend one in September. So come the 25th I need to traipse back up to Seoul and stay there for a few days for the orientation. I'm sure I'll enjoy learning a bit more about what it's like to teach here and some useful techniques, but it is something of a bugbear to have to go back and forth and run around continuously spending what little money I have like this.

Thankfully, the good thing about doing this all now is that it'll be over soon and I'll actually be able to settle down and focus on what I'm actually here to do.

Anyway, rant over.

Speaking of what I'm here to do...that's going pretty well at the moment. I'm working out of a textbook for most of my classes, but I'm putting a twist on some of it too and trying to apply what I learnt in my PGCE about structuring and executing good lessons. So far the lessons seem to be a hit with the kids and teachers - let's hope it stays that way.

Anyhow, more detailed update to follow in the next couple of days, but for now I'm dog-tired. Peace out people.

No comments:

Post a Comment